Mark Swanson wrote:
Hello,

Normal code with no classpath set that uses SunJCE.class (found in jre/lib/ext/sunjce_provider.jar) works fine, but the same code won't work in James unless I copy the sunjce_provider.jar into the SAR-INF/lib directory.

I'm curious as to why James doesn't use jars in the ext directory?

The reason is that problems can arise related to the JRE extension loading. Irrespective of the extension spec, the JRE will add all jar files in the /ext directory into the system classpath. This can cause all sort of trouble if you are running some particular version of a xml parse that's not compatible with something bundled in the JRE ext directory. The solution in Phoenix is to declare a different ext directory u default. The solution in Merlin is to use the standard ext directory but allow the possibility to override this if there is a problem.

Cheers, Steve.

Thanks.