1. The support on windows has been asked and the answer has been that the maildir de-facto norm does not support this.

2. Where is the [1] you are referring to? Btw I think we could make it configurable to allow the mailbox-maildir to use a windows-friendly character. Maybe that character has already been proposed somewhere else? The default would of course be the standard norm.