This message is a reply to an earlier message about LDAP authentication
failure. I have this working and thought I would share my config.

This is on Windows, FYI. I implemented a base Active Directory LDAP
instance with Users.LDIF. It creates a configuration from the root node
(cn=<host>,dc=<domain>,dc=com) that looks like this:

CN=LostAndFound
CN=NTDS Quotas
CN=Roles
CN=Users

I added a user  (called admin below) at this level of the tree, which looks
like this:

CN=LostAndFound
CN=NTDS Quotas
CN=Roles
CN=admin

I then added this user to the administrator Role in the tree:

1. select CN=Roles, then CN=Administrators
2, right-click CN=Administrators and selecting Properties
3. click members from the list of properties
4. click the Add DN button and add the DN of the admin
(cn=admin,cn=<host>,dc=<domain>,dc=com)
5. Lastly, in the user's properties, set msDS-UserAccountDisabled = False.

<repository name="LocalUsers"
class="org.apache.james.user.ldap.ReadOnlyUsersLDAPRepository"
ldapHost="ldap://localhost:389";
userBase="cn=Users,cn=<host>,dc=<domain>,dc=com" userObjectClass="user"
userIdAttribute="cn"/>

Note the userIdAttribute, which is set to cn for the implementation above.

Also note the userBase starts with CN=Users. I add all the regular users at
that level (one level below the admin).

In order to get this working, I worked out connecting to the LDAP store
using the ldp.exe directory browser on Windows.