Hello Huy,

On 06/03/2023 00:50, Huy Van wrote:
Hi everyone at open source Apache James,

This is to notify that James is similar to a closed source project.
Necessary documents at
https://james.staged.apache.org/james-distributed-app/3.7.3/operate/ are
currently not found (404). Documents on James website are outdated with the
latest build.

We are using a multi-repository build with Antora and it seems there is a mis-functionning that causes this build to sometime not include distributed resources.

I was aware of this bug for some time now but did not have the time to investigate it. I created https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JAMES-3894 for it and might plan it in my team backlog.

Contributions on this topic are of course welcome too.

In the meantime the doc is still on github: https://github.com/apache/james-project/tree/master/server/apps/distributed-app/docs/modules/ROOT/pages/operate

Configuring James now for new users requires to look into source code,
logic, which is a crazy idea.

James is a technical piece of architecture that mostly addresses enterprise needs.

There was the topic of having a simpler set up for individual/small business which eases its configuration, but we really received few contributions on the topic. Hence no real progress was made.

Please note that documentation is a collective effort and, might you want to help us improve it, we would very happily accept those contributions.
  Yes, it's always easier with technical
services behind James, but how to be sure that there are no "unexpected"
errors occur during operation in the future, when valuable data going huge.
I concern this because james's been contributed & maintain mostly by
companies providing technical services on James.
Free software is free as in free speech, not as in free beer.

Having companies doing business is by the way a sign of good health of an OpenSource community.

James community itself have several actors proposing services.

If any companies are not at Google, Microsoft, etc level, it's better to
build own distributed business-logical mail system based on postfix,
dovecot, familiar db shard & replication, etc. It's peace of mind and
faster building than current document-hidden Apache James.
I feel offended by such a declaration and of course it depends on your use cases.

James has a real value for injecting components at the heart of the mail server, for scaling, for the JMAP protocol.

I agree it might not fit everyone use case.

It's not too difficult unless you want. Hope James project is great in the
future.
Thanks ;-)

Best regards,

Benoit