On Mon, 4 Dec 2023 19:01:05 GMT, Jiangli Zhou <jian...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> @dcubed-ojdk Thanks for the notification. I just ran one of our affected
>> test 100 times with JDK-8312174 change rolled back and with both following
>> applied:
>>
>> - https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/16642
>> - https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/pull/16934
>>
>> All 100 runs passed without failure. I'm going to run all tests tonight,
>> will report back later tomorrow if I see any issue.
>
>> @jianglizhou - Thanks for doing the testing. Can you also do a review? We
>> need two reviewers for this change.
>
> Complete test run finished. Checking the results, looks like there's no issue
> related to JVMTIThreadState change.
>
> @dcubed-ojdk Reducing the check to `(thread->threadObj() == nullptr &&
> thread->is_attaching_via_jni())` looks ok.
>
> I just rechecked all usages of setup_jvmti_thread_state(). Currently it's
> used in three cases:
> - JvmtiDynamicCodeEventCollector::JvmtiDynamicCodeEventCollector()
> - JvmtiVMObjectAllocEventCollector::JvmtiVMObjectAllocEventCollector()
> - JvmtiSampledObjectAllocEventCollector::start()
>
> JDK-8319935 ran into issue with
> JvmtiSampledObjectAllocEventCollector::start() call path. We changed
> JvmtiSampledObjectAllocEventCollector::object_alloc_is_safe_to_sample() to
> avoid sampling if there is no thread obj allocated for the attaching thread.
> We also changed JvmtiThreadState::state_for_while_locked to handle the
> attaching case and return null. @dcubed-ojdk and @dholmes-ora, is there a
> case JvmtiVMObjectAllocEventCollector::JvmtiVMObjectAllocEventCollector()
> might also see an attaching thread without the thread obj allocated?
>
> JvmtiDynamicCodeEventCollector::JvmtiDynamicCodeEventCollector() call path
> probably is not affected by this case.

@jianglizhou and @sspitsyn - Thanks for the reviews.

In the interest of reducing the noise in the Mach5 CI, I'm going ahead with
integrating this fix without waiting for a reply to my comment above. If there
are remaining issues, then we'll deal with them in a follow-up bug/RFE.

PR Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/16934#issuecomment-1839457963