The early 2-pin style is a dry contact next to a spinning round magnet.
Round magnets have 8 poles, which means the contact closes 8 times per
revolution.  The pinion is geared to about 1000 rotations per mile, so
that's 8000 pulses per mile.

One side of the switch is grounded and the other is pulled to 5V by the
ECU.  When the switch closes, the signal goes low.

The 3-pin style is an electronic hall-effect sensor replica of the 2-pin
style.  The output is the same (8000 pulses per mile).  The 3rd pin is a
5 or 8V supply voltage.  You can use the 3-pin style in a car with a
2-pin sensor by adding the extra supply line.  The 8V feed to the HEP
sensor is usually what is used.  The only problem is that there is no
version of the 3-pin style sensor that can accommodate a speedometer
cable.

More here:

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/speedsensor.html

Russ