> all the piping looks tight. is it just a vac leak?
> i looked but may have overlooked something.

If possible, do a boost leak test. It's amazing the problems leaks can cause
and how common, but unrecognized, they are.

Here are a couple of links on building testers:
http://www.srtforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195139
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread/t-87413.html

You don't mention any unusual noises. When I got my '89 CSX, it was building
boost very slowly (and it's a VNT!). It turned out that there was a bolt
missing between the turbo center section and turbine housing. The hole went
straight through into the exhaust stream, so it was a huge exhaust leak.
Sounded like a truck when you got on the accelerator, though, so I knew
there was an exhaust leak.

David Reynolds
Southern IL
'87 CSX #321, '89 CSX #321, '04 SRT4,
'82 Rampage (project or parts car?), '98 Grand Voyager