'It will be like the holocaust'

By JOHN MARTINKUS in the UN compound

Dili: Fears of genocide grip the UNAMET mission in Dili where some 2000
desperate East Timorese refugees will be abandoned later today when United
Nations workers flee the devastated province.

Without UN protection, the refugees forced to stay in the overcrowded
compound will be at the mercy of the Indonesian military and militias who
have taken such a terrible revenge since the historic vote for independence
nine days ago.

"It will be like the holocaust. They will simply kill all of us here as soon
as you leave," said a student leader who last night was trying to organise a
breakout.

Meanwhile, embarrassed foreign journalists don't know what to do besides
giving away company flak jackets, car keys and whatever food we have left.

This morning we will move out of the compound to the airport in an operation
guaranteed security by the same Indonesian military that has for the past
five days burnt and looted this town, shooting dead the inhabitants or
forcing them at gunpoint to other parts of the country.

The initial anger and despair in the compound has now been replaced by a
stubborn refusal to wait until the Indonesians escort us out of this place.

Journalists argue with each other about what to do, while those Timorese who
are employed by the UN and therefore have permission to leave, try to say
their goodbyes to compatriots who must stay.

"If we stay, they will kill us all, but when we leave, they will kill them,"
said Liam Phelan, who is filing for The Australian newspaper.

The fateful announcement yesterday that the UN would abandon the mission
released a wave of emotion with westerners and East Timorese reduced to
tears as they tried to comfort one another.

Every day, the militias had edged closer and closer to the mission, burning
houses and shooting at the compound.

"We have called their bluff; they haven't killed any of us and they wouldn't
dare," argued some journalists who refused to accept that the UN would leave.

It had only agreed to do so on condition that UN local staff and their
families were allowed to go with them.

But no-one seems to be convinced the Indonesian military will allow that to
happen.

Last night, UN staff drew up a petition expressing their heartbreak over the
forced evacuation and abandonment of the East Timorese.

It is a sad irony that the compound remains littered with posters, printed
by UNAMET, that declare in Teten, the local language: "The UN will stay
after the ballot."

Yet even now, many of the East Timorese remain touchingly concerned for our
safety.

"You have to go. You'll be killed if you don't," they say.

Not surprisingly, the UN staff are in a dreadful quandary.

For the past three months they have told local workers and East Timorese not
to be afraid to vote honestly and to ignore intimidation by the
pro-Indonesian militia.

Vote the way you feel, they said.

Now, having have defied Indonesian-sponsored intimidation, the people are to
be abandoned.The Indonesians have destroyed their town and killed their
countrymen and women.

"How dare you gamble with our lives like this," said one man, consumed by
anger. "You have gambled and lost and now we will die."

Meanwhile, Indonesian troops stroll casually around the compound but with
their machine guns constantly trained on the refugees.

One foreigner was unable to contain his frustration.

He yelled at the troops, swearing at them until he was shut up by UN
civilian police.

"They don't care, tomorrow is open season on these people," said one Swiss
UN worker.

"This is like Srebrenica all over again when we helped separate the men who
were to be killed by the Serbs and the women who were to be raped by them
after we left."

Now he was crying. - AAP

SiaR WEBSITE: http://apchr.murdoch.edu.au/minihub/siarlist/maillist.html

Kirim email ke