ON FLAG-BURNING

Today I appeal to solidarity groups worldwide to actively refrain from
burning the Indonesian flag (or otherwise desecrating symbols or property
of Indonesia) as a means of protesting the Indonesian government and
military's outrages against the people of East Timor.  As the multinational
force moves into East Timor, it is important for us to show utmost respect
for the Indonesian people.  The Indonesian democracy movement has, for
instance, placed itself solidly on the side of human rights in East Timor
from the beginning.  Instead we should direct our energies toward means to
successfully implement the full and verifable withdrawal of all Indonesian
armed forces-- military, police, intelligence, and special forces alike.
We can maintain respect for the people of Indonesia at the same time.

That said, I also appeal to all Indonesians to respect persons, property
and sympols of the many nations taking part in the multinational force, and
I call on them to refrain from attacking property or desecrating others'
national symbols.  Our respect should be mutual.

I would like to take this opportunity to express my deep appreciation to
the many individuals throughout the world, the many excellent solidarity
organizations and coalitions-- in other words the grassroots-- without whom
recent changes in American, British, Australian and other nations' polices
toward Indonesia and East Timor would not have taken place.  These changes
were instrumental in pressing Indonesia to allow in an international force
to stop the slaughter.

But, I also ask for your vigilance through the coming weeks and months, to
end the violence once and for all, and to see East Timor into a peaceful
and just transition to independence.  Thank you.

Jose Ramos Horta

SiaR WEBSITE: http://apchr.murdoch.edu.au/minihub/siarlist/maillist.html

Kirim email ke