On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 10:07 AM, Eric Osterweil
<eosterw...@verisign.com> wrote:
<snip>
> - I also don't understand how the text in this (a threats document) can claim
> that route
> leaks are beyond the scope of PATHSEC in a fait accompli manner...  This is a
> threats document, right?  This is a threat to BGP, right?  The RPKI provides
> semantics that

is the 'leak' a threat to 'BGP' or to the users of the network?

>``BGP, itself does not include semantics...'' for... I don't think applying
>this exclusion to
> route leaks survives a sniff test.

the RPKI is simply a database, it's not part of the BGP protocol. The
RPKI system doesn't include bgp peering data, so while you could
detect and potentially mitigate a 'hijack', it's not clear to me that
you'd know 'leak' vs 'new peering arrangement' just based on the RPKI
data.

> Overall, I think the threats document is still missing a badly needed
> treatise on route
> leaks.

is it fair to say that you would like the threats document to say, in
perhaps more words than this:
  "BGP Path Security has no capability to influence or inform the bgp
system of 'route leaks'."

this, I think, does run afoul of stephen's want for a definition of
'route leak' though... but I think it's what you're aiming at?