On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 12:00 PM, Danny McPherson <da...@tcb.net> wrote:
> On 2013-03-08 11:10, Murphy, Sandra wrote:
>>
>> In reviewing the discussions about the threat document, the wg
>> eventual consensus wrt one topic was not clear to the chairs.
>>
>> The ORIGIN attribute was mentioned by some as having the potential to
>> be used out-of-spec to influence routing through the neighbor (and
>> their neighbors, etc.).
>>
>> One response was that there is no way to verify the authenticity of
>> the ORIGIN's original value, so the origin AS could mis-use this
>> attribute no matter what we do.
>

> The origin AS sets the value of the attribute to whatever THEY desire -- the
> concern was that upstream ASes can manipulate this to launch "traffic
> attraction attacks".  This happens today with some of our transit providers,
> and we'd like the option to be able to mitigate that attack if we're going
> to put a bunch of stuff in place to secure inter-domain routing on the
> Internet.
>

>> Also, a later discussion pointed out that the original need for the
>> ORIGN attribute had long since been OBE,
>

> Many origin ASes set the value to various upstreams intentionally today to
> impact path selection in upstream ASes, so it is very much in use today,
> even if not for the originally envisaged application.
>

>> but that ISPs had re-purposed
>> the attribute for influencing traffic.  Several operators mentioned
>> that ISPs find it useful to modify this attribute and spoke against
>> protecting the integrity (ie preventing the modification).
>

> Right, that want to be able to exploit traffic attraction attack vectors,
> whereas, as an origin AS I'd like to have the capability to prevent that.
>

>> The current draft does not mention the ORIGIN attribute as a threat.
>>
>> Is that the right outcome?
>

> No.
>

>> That is, was the desired outcome:
>>
>> (1)  yes, we know it is a threat but we know we can't & don't want to
>> protect it, so might as well leave it out.   (current state). why do
>> make-work.
>

> It's not make-work, it is a clear threat - you say yourself in the question.
> It needs to be reflected in the threats draft and accommodated in subsequent
> requirements and solutions work.  We should not keep it out of the threat
> draft simply because the solution does not currently accommodate it (we've
> done lots of that already).
>

>> (2)  we should mention it as a threat but then mention the bits about
>> can't authenticate the original value and don't want to protect the
>> integrity (ie want to permit modification).
>

> It's a threat, we don't need to have a solution here, we're talking about
> the threats draft.  It should lead to a requirement and then the solution
> can be developed.
>

>> If there's no interest in changing, the threats draft stands as it is
>> on this point.
>

> How many times do I need to defend this operational feedback before it's
> considered and accommodate in the threats draft?

I think the question was a survey sort of question: 'Should this be in
the threats doc? Is the intent to come back and say: "Yes, origin
changes along the path for many reasons, we want to protect against
this." (ie: origin changes are a threat) OR "Yes, origin changes along
the path, we actually want to keep this feature available.'

There were at least 2 people talking about origin, one from either
side I think... so clarification would be good.