So, Udhay, it is often luck.  When my family traveled to Spain I booked
some three star hotels and two apt stays. The latter, in Toledo and Madrid,
were fantastic. We were traveling in the off season and got them for 100
Euros a night. Off season is one of the keys to getting a nice place.

Another time, we found an old hotel recently renovated in the San Diego
area. What hooked me was the history. Ava Gardner had stayed there and
Johnny Weismuller had designed the pool. Again, great price and charming
place.

 In India I got lucky when I just flipped my idea of what a nice place was.
Mike and I stayed in a modest cabin at Makaibari Tea in Kurseong. 100 US
for three nights in a place where we went to bed at 830 and woke up
watching sunlight hit the valley below. Poori and subzi for brekka and
maggi for the night provided by our Nepalese hostess, wife of a factory
worker. Days spent wandering down a 1000 feet and up again. Pure gold.

Radhika