I think the one thing I splurge money on is buying myself time. I used to
feel guilty, after being integrated into the Dutch protestant ethos of
doing everything yourself, to keep on spending considerably large amounts
of money for people to do things for me. My neighbours still comment on the
fact that I live all alone and I have a cleaner. I have colleagues who
express surprise that I hire handy-persons to come and fix things in my
house. Or friends who are amazed that I will not spend that extra 3 hours
to look for a 10 Euro discount. Of course, a lot of it comes from the fact
that I am privileged enough to afford it - being single, with no financial
dependents, and a very frugal life where I don't spend on many of the other
things like eating out, drinking, partying, etc. helps - and some of it
also from the fact that unlike most of my Dutch friends and colleagues, I
have 2 jobs and a company, and that takes up a lot of my time.

It took me 3 years to realise that this is the biggest luxury I have -
buying time, and that is absolutely worth it.
Cheers,
Nishant
P.S. I am just about to complete an entire year of buying nothing for
myself - no clothes, no electronics, no consumables and it has been quite a
wonderful experience.

--
Dr. Nishant Shah (Ph.D.)
Professor, Aesthetics & Cultures of Technology, Director Research