On Sat, Jan 9, 2021 at 5:43 PM Biju Chacko <biju.cha...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I stopped reading Stephen King in the mid to late nineties. Though I
> enjoyed his earlier books, I started to feel like he had become so popular
> that he stopped listening to his editors. The books were getting
> excessively long and tiring.
>
> I recently listened to an interview of him and he seemed interesting. I was
> wondering if I should revisit the decision. I have less time to read
> nowadays so the opportunity cost is higher. I thought I'd ask for reviews
> before I pick one up.
>
> Thoughts?

I have been a fan of King ever since I first picked up a collection of his
short stories (Night Shift) when I was 12-13. He is prolific, so there are
always a few bad books here and there, but on the whole, he delivers what I
need when I pick up a King book. A superb story (or many superb stories if
it is an anthology) expertly told without trying to be anything more than a
good story.

If you want to start with one of his later works, my pick is 22/11/63 --
I'd probably rate it as the best Stephen King novel ever even (you may feel
a mild sense of deja vu if you have read Dead Zone though, but it will
quickly pass)

Also, you may want to read books by his son Joe Hill--he's just as good a
storyteller.