Neville wrote:
Hi All, Yep, I'm back! Assume everything has settled down so I thought I could come out of hiding...joking of course...<g> Perhaps someone could give me the colour ranges of LVDC CS, starting with clear and progressing through the colour changes after that? Except 'black', don't bother with 'black' as I'm never going to go that far. My research states 'yellow' is always the first colour which becomes apparent when producing colloids. I have researched some information but prefer a personal appraisal.
The color sequence is as follows:

absorption color - visible color
uv - infrared
indigo - light yellow
blue - yellow
bluegreen - gold
green - pinkish
green-yellow - reddish brown
green-yellow-orange - brown

Actually starting with the yellow absorption, absorption becomes very broad, and it continues absorbing in the shorter wavelengths while also absorbing in the longer wavelengths. Thus when absorbing in the yellow, it is also still absorbing in the green, and as it gets larger the absorption curve broadens to the yellow, orange and red. The result is that once it gets to orange, it simply gets more and more murky, going to darker and darker shades of brown.

I have posted a scan of page 170 from Analytical Biochemiistry # 262, 1998 by Juan Yguerabide and Evangelina E. UYguerabide at http://silver-lightning.com/cs-color.jpg

The top row "a" is gold spots of 78 nm and submerged in air, water and dimethyl sulfoxide. The next set "b" top part is silver sols (colloids) with particle sizes of 38, 47, 60, 75, 94, 118 and 144 nm. The bottom part of set "b" is the sols being illuminated by white light from the side, so that you are seeing the "tyndall".color and are sizes of 38, 47, 94 and 144 nm. The bottom row is a photograph of epithelial buccal cells labeled with 78 nm diameter gold particles.

Marshall
I am using Pure Water at the moment as the supermarket I usually get my Distilled Water from is closed for refurbishment. Can't say I'm happy with Pure Water though, even though I got it from the chemist 'cos this is what they use in making up medications so I figured it should be pretty much the best that is available for the man, oops, and woman in the street. I have never had colour changes using DW in the past but with this PW the colours I have got are...clear, yellow and 'pink-ish'. I have been starting to add a quantity of previous batches of CS also and believe this could be the reason for the colour changes, even though I use the same method of production and time frame, (don't ask me why though, and I am aware of 'seeding' the water). I don't usually add previous CS as a 'seed', I just use the water straight out of the bottle. The ambient temperatures are starting to increase here due to seasonal change so the reason could be simply that, but somehow I doubt it. Every other time I have made CS in the past it has always been clear, hovering around the 10-15ppm, (give and take depending on what ppm I decide I want at the time), so have decided to stick with Distilled, I definitely won't consider Demineralised. These results are the reason for my question about colour changes. Enn...dem...err...preferably under 1000 words? <g> Just simple colour changes will suffice. A *_'concensus of opinion'_* regarding the ppm of each colour would also be helpful, so I can do a comparison with my meter tested results. If your ppm results is with the use of the Com 100 TDS/EC/TEMP meter or Hanna TDS 1 'ppm...?' meter, perhaps you could include that also so I know what meter to use, (I have both), OH, and I will need to know what setting the Comm meter is set on. I also know about the use of meters in testing 'ppm' when they are basically only conductivity meters but if I use the same setting as you then I will be far better able to make my comparisons. Information I have states the Com 100 meter should be set to either EC/KCl or Nacl for colloidal silver. Don't bother with water temperature as I haven't checked my water temperatures before/or during production anyway, I'll just 'read between the lines' so to speak, it's only to give me a fairly good idea that's all, to narrow down the 'guesswork' without laboratory testing, (cash and the lack thereof). You see, I know that there are several of you here that have been 'into' CS for quite some time so thought I would ask you 'straight up'. This way I will know 'straight from the horses mouth' so to speak, and it can be considered more 'trusted and reliable'. Neville.