Hi Mike.  I think that most people aim for a ppm-level of around 10.  We are
happy with anything in the range from as low as 5 ppms to as high as 20 ppms.
Mine is rarely higher than 14 or 15.  No -- most of us aren't guessing -- we're
using a tester of some sort.  Mine is a Hanna tester (available from
www.wishgranted.com).  You simply dip the end of the unit into your silver
solution and it gives a digital readout of the approximate ppm level.  Yes --
approximate.  This tester isn't designed to measure ppms of silver -- there
actually isn't any unit designed to do that -- but this comes pretty darn close
for a reasonable price.  I think I paid $55.00 for mine.  Plus shipping.
Incidentally -- there are proponents of the theory that the lower ppm-level CS
is as effective, or more effective than the higher ppm-level CS.  IOW -- 5 ppms
are just fine.  Quality control is mostly visual -- if you process it
correctly, and your tester gives you
 a reading of between 5 and 20 ppms, and your product is perfectly clear, then
you have good quality Colloidal Silver.  Or, Electrically Isolated Silver, as
we like to call it here.  Hope this helps.  MA