Aldi
On the front panel of the 777 there is a switch that is labeled either
standard or fast, the setting you need to use is the standard  setting, the
red and green lights alternate every minute and the red comes on bright when
it shuts off.
On the fast setting it is running manually and will brew until you shut it
off hence the colors you got.
I've never been able to get anything but clear up to 20 ppm (setting #
7)with mine set on standard.
Dave