I asked the same question some years ago, and I think it was Richard Harris, who was on the group at the time, and had been a Pharmacist for some 60 years or so, who said:

In regards to Pharmaceutical agents for making Topical Gels—Methylcellulose

Lipoil
Poloxamer NF Pluronic F127 Propylene Glycol are some of the newest most popular gelling, suspending agents. Most would come from your local independent Pharmacist (even if Not a Compounding Pharmacist), who as a favor to you could and probably would order it special in the original package after determining that you were NOT planning something harmful to yourself or others.

These are some other comments from around the same time about making a gel:

I looked a bottle of the organic Aloe Gel I used to use. It is by Lily of the Desert (not Lily of the Valley as I previously stated on this list). Carrageenan is used as a thickening agent. www.lilyofthedesert.com <http://www.lilyofthedesert.com> is their website. Perhaps they can answer your questions. When you strip aloe it is thick but I don't think it will stay thick. Garnet

You can make a "gel" with Agar agar, a seaweed. I have found it at Whole Food Stores. It is used as a vegan substitute for gelatin which is extracted from cow hooves. Garnet

http://www.bulkfoods.com/agar_agar.htm Natural agar agar is unflavoured producing a firm, clear jelly and is rich in iodine and trace minerals and has mildly laxative properties.

Perhaps the trace elements in agar such as iodine provide nutrients for the cultures. I was unable to find a chemical formula for agar, just that it was a polysaccharide complex called lentinan. Marshall

Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 10:26:49 +0100 (GMT Standard Time) From: "Rod Stevenson" > Hi Chris, I've not tried making an ointment with CS, but I have tried making a gel, with and without aloe vera. Its very easy and your CS won't need to be heated to a high temp ( as it does if your making a cream or ointment). Here's a recipe. (with thanks to Marshall for the ph bit)

90ml CS
2ml Xanthum Gum
10ml Aloe Vera concentrate (I use 1:10)

a few drops of a preservative, such as grapefruit seed extract.
sodium bicarb
Gently heat the CS till it's lukewarm (this will make the gum melt more easily) sprinkle the gum and beat vigorously. If you don't want to introduce air bubbles into your mixture, keep the whisk on the bottom of the pan. Add the AV concentrate and preservative. (I've found that after about three weeks the gel develops a mould of some description. This is about two weeks longer than using just water, so the CS is doing something, just not for very long.) Bring the mixture back to around 7ph with sodium bicarb using litmus paper. You can use other thickening agents such as cellulose gum, roughly twice as much should do it. Give it a try, it's quick and simple to make. Good Luck! Rod