At 10:27 AM 3/10/2010 -0600, you wrote:
Several studies I have seen attribute most, if not all, of the
antimicrobial activity of silver particles to the formation of silver
oxide on the particle in the bloodstream. One example:

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/pdf2004/fpl_2004_dorau001.pdf
"Note that all these mechanisms relate to solvated silver ions, Ag+. The
antibacterial properties of any metal come from its ions, which are
generated from the neutral metal (1 5). In the presence of oxygen,
metallic silver can be bactericidal because silver (I) oxide is soluble
enough to release free silver ions (18). When dealing with metallic
silver, though, it is important to note that antimicrobial activity
depends on the extent of the active silver surface."

Would it not then be desirable to form silver oxide on the particles
that do form in EIS?

 - Steve N

  Maybe..but where and when?
IN the blood stream or in the jar?..or does it matter?
Ion exchange and reaction chains are a complicated deal and there's nothing at all simple about where the CS is headed.
 I suppose that any number of reactions will wind up doing the same thing.
Is yellow CS "bad" ?? Hellifino. If it works, use it. Even if the oxides do nothing, there's lots of other stuff in there.

Ode