What is the current thinking on using rain water for making CS?
I seem to recall that in the past the general opinion was that one should only use distilled. I have to buy my distilled water, and although here in Western Australia that is at least possible, it is expensive and inconvenient.

This Australian winter, I expect to have access to fresh rain water, and have been thinking of bringing it home in big clear water fountain bottles and using that for drinking water (we do have reverse osmosis, but I am gathering from what I read that some of the worst chemicals are not actually completely filtered out by the filters) and also perhaps for CS unless there is some overwhelming reason why it should not be so used. I would upend the bottles on our ceramic water dispenser and use it for general consumption also.

This water would be gathered on a huge metal roof and stored in metal rainwater tanks. I suspect this might engender some potential objection, but I don't know. I would go and fill the bottle for a charitable donation, and bring them home for use. The first rains of the season would be allowed to run away to flush dust off the roof before it was directed via simple filters to the new tanks. It would be collected in the country from clouds probably blown up from Antarctica, anyway from the Indian or Southern Oceans.

Why I like this idea is that the bottles would not come from a factory that is forced by law to "protect" the inside of the storage bottle with chemicals for "hygiene". It would also not contain echoes or particles or suggestions of water treatment chemicals; although our water here is basically of high quality, it does have standard chemicals added to it.

Rowena Down Under

Grow medicinal herbs,forage for wild foods, catch and filter your own
water,  make your own colloidal silver, explore alternative methods of
healthcare and develop a wellness support network wherever you are
sharing remedies and information.