You will get considerable scarring with the surgery anyway so I don't think
scarring would be a reason not to use the black salve.

If I recall from reading all the info on this lately, Tel's has less - zinc
was it? - so I think perhaps maybe safer for near the eye application.
 Seems like he talked about using it to treat cattle eyes.

Good luck.

Jaxi