My dog did this but was under a year at the time. I was told to look for
wheat and corn allergies and that is what it was. I didn't have to go
through any long elimination diets as cutting wheat and corn solved the
problem. Grain free blends in specialty feed stores all pretty good. The
stuff in supermarkets is always full of corn and cheap grains.
Worth a try at least.  Good Luck, Val