That's an expression I absolutely love -- *the bees knees*!!  :-D
MA

________________________________
From: phoenix23002 tds.net <phoenix23...@tds.net>
To: silver-list@eskimo.com
Sent: Fri, December 28, 2012 7:56:25 PM
Subject: Re: CS>the wog ? I think I know

" hate to see any old mannerisms unique to a people or culture slowly disappear
just because some idiot came up with the idea of this 'political correctness'
rubbish, that causes more trouble than it's worth by putting a wedge between
people."

I so agree.  My grandma used to say 'so & so just don't gee-haw'.. for
instance.  Years ago, I finally asked her about it.  Curiosity got the best of
me.  She told me how plow horse teams used to be trained to respond to voice
commands..  gee to turn right  and haw to turn left.  So..the expression was
used to describe when something might not make sense (doesn't add up)  or if
two
things aren't compatible.  I know.. sounds a little wierd but.. lol..  that is
the way it was used.

I am sure there are other expressions 'out there'. Hubby and I were talking the
other day and I said that a mutual friend of ours needed more of something or
other (don't remember what now)  'like carter needs more pills'. That used to
be
a common expression playing off a product called Carter's Little Liver Pills'
that is no longer mfg'd.  I don't think I had used that expression in years but
it used to be pretty prevalent.  We both laughed and I commented that I would
get a lot of strange looks if I said something like that in front of people who
weren't around when Carter made all those little pills.

These kinds of expressions add to the richness of a culture and a language.
Shame to see it all get perverted or discarded.  Of course, in some instances
it
is a generational thing.  We don't say 'it's the bee's knees anymore, right?
;)
 Lola H.