They use both by switching polarities every 5 minutes.
Joe
On 18/12/2013 5:49 PM, M.G. Devour wrote:
Ode wrote:
   It would be easy to tell which electrode does what with some litmus
paper..I seem to have misplaced mine.

Wet down a paper towel with salty water, apply DC power and see which
pole goes acid.
I'm guessing that the positive electrode would attract electrons,
creating a region of alkalinity from OH- ions. The negative electrode
would repel electrons creating a region populated by a surplus of H+.
Does that sound right?

I've got some pH paper, so I could do the test.

Sodium Hydroxide

It's ~probably~ the Sodium Hydroxide that builds up enough to give you
the red itchies
But also will have the effect of alkalizing the region closest to it.

Does anybody know off the top of their head what end of the batteries
goes on the area to be treated with a microelectricitygermkiller-style
Godzilla?
Off to try to dig up those answers...

Be well,

Mike D.