"Of course this is from a person who once proudly cooked their first
Thanksgiving turkey for the whole family, not knowing there were innards
in there..."

Haha...that's great - I'm sure you're not the first (or last)!

Terry

---- Jean Baugh <oldgloryte...@srcaccess.net> wrote:

=============
Hi,

I eliminate browning the bottom of cornbread by letting the cast iron
skillet get to smoking (using bacon grease), pouring the cornbread into
the skillet and letting it bubble before placing it in the oven.  Cook
until the top is the color you like and that¹s it; top and bottom are done.

Of course this is from a person who once proudly cooked their first
Thanksgiving turkey for the whole family, not knowing there were innards
in there, and no clue that cloves in the pumpkin pie meant ground cloves.

Jean

**********

>I have an iron skillet that is dedicated to baking cornbread and
>cornbread only.  You
>melt a good blob of lard/butter/coconut oil (the times have changed..lol)
> in a hot oven in
>your iron skillet, pull it out of the oven, pour in your batter.  Let it
>bake for 20 -
>25 mins til set, remove from oven.  Cover the pan with a plate, invert
>the cake of
>cornbread onto the plate and slip the cornbread back into the skillet,
>bottom-side up now.
>Continue to bake for another 10 - 15 mins.  Slide the cornbread out of
>the skillet onto
>the serving plate.  Brush any crumbs out of the skillet and let cool
>before putting the
>skillet up.  I usually let it cool completely and then store it in a
>large Ziploc bag.  And
>I just dare anybody to use that skillet for anything but
>cornbread...lol.. After 30 years,
>it is perfect.
>Lola
>
>Lola, what temperature to u set the oven for this recipe?   Cast iron
>does seem to make things taste better.
>
>Gail
>
>Sent from my iPad
>
>> On May 31, 2016, at 8:41 PM, "phoenix23...@tds.net"
>><phoenix23...@tds.net> wrote:
>>

>> I have an iron skillet that is dedicated to baking cornbread and
>>cornbread only.  You
>> melt a good blob of lard/butter/coconut oil (the times have
>>changed..lol)  in a hot oven in
>> your iron skillet, pull it out of the oven, pour in your batter.  Let
>>it bake for 20 -
>> 25 mins til set, remove from oven.  Cover the pan with a plate, invert
>>the cake of
>> cornbread onto the plate and slip the cornbread back into the skillet,
>>bottom-side up now.
>> Continue to bake for another 10 - 15 mins.  Slide the cornbread out of
>>the skillet onto
>> the serving plate.  Brush any crumbs out of the skillet and let cool
>>before putting the
>> skillet up.  I usually let it cool completely and then store it in a
>>large Ziploc bag.  And
>> I just dare anybody to use that skillet for anything but
>>cornbread...lol.. After 30 years,
>> it is perfect.

Archives: