If the LED shifts from green to red and back, it's doing its' job  of
switching polarity.
The wire will NOT stay shiny over time due to pitting and reformed silver
dust on the surface...but that isn't "crud" and needn't be disturbed..

If you press the button for 5 seconds, it will run in DC mode and you'll
get black crud on one side and white frothy crud on the other.
The older gen has a switch to run in DC mode.

Ode