https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/24/technology/joseph-mercola-coronavirus-misinformation-online.html

The Most Influential Spreader of Coronavirus Misinformation Online

Researchers and regulators say Joseph Mercola, an osteopathic physician,
creates and profits from misleading claims about Covid-19 vaccines.

The article that appeared online on Feb. 9 began with a seemingly innocuous
question about the legal definition of vaccines*. *Then over its next 3,400
words, it declared coronavirus vaccines
<https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/science/coronavirus-vaccine-tracker.html>
were
“a medical fraud” and said the injections did not prevent infections,
provide immunity or stop transmission of the disease.

Instead, the article claimed, the shots “alter your genetic coding, turning
you into a viral protein factory that has no off-switch.”

Its assertions were easily disprovable. No matter. Over the next few hours,
the article was translated from English into Spanish and Polish. It
appeared on dozens of blogs and was picked up by anti-vaccination
activists, who repeated the false claims online. The article also made its
way to Facebook, where it reached 400,000 people, according to data from
CrowdTangle
<https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/14/technology/facebook-data.html>, a
Facebook-owned tool.

The entire effort traced back to one person: Joseph Mercola.

Dr. Mercola, 67, an osteopathic physician in Cape Coral, Fla., has long
been a subject of criticism and government regulatory actions
<https://www.fda.gov/inspections-compliance-enforcement-and-criminal-investigations/warning-letters/mercolacom-llc-607133-02182021>
for
his promotion of unproven or unapproved treatments. But most recently, he
has become the chief spreader of coronavirus misinformation online,
according to researchers.