They both work the same way in different volumes of water by vibrating a
peizo disk at ultrasonic frequencies. [30,000 cycles per second and up?]
 A peizo disk is like a speaker..in fact, are used as high range tweeters
these days.

 The nebulizer might work at a higher frequency more suited to moving
smaller volumes of mist.
 I believe a higher frequency would make for smaller droplets but make
producing large volumes of mist to be moved over a greater distance more
difficult.

 Imagine the difference between a woofer facing up with pepples on it
compared to a tweeter with sand grains.

ode