I also cut off the end of my thumb a few years ago.  I did not get it sewn back
on, but kept the stump wet with EIS for several days. It also grew back
thumbprint and all.  I wish I had a copy of my original thumbprint, I would like
to see if it is the same as it was before, but all the lines match, and in fact,
I am not even sure which thumb it was now the healing was so complete.

Marshall