Hi sol,

well one reason why peroxide would not clean tarnish off is that. On pure
silver the tarnish might be silver oxide, so adding more oxygen from peroxide
would not do anything. you want to add something that combines with the oxygen
in the silver to remove it. Like the vinegar which is an acid and a proton
donor.

when you are dealing with sterling silver however it is a different story
because most of the tarnish on sterling silver comes from the copper oxidizing.
silver polish usually contains soem thing that will remove that esily. In both
case it is due to oxides on the metal and sometimes also sulfurs on the metal.

peroxide provides more oxygen so would not work well to remove metal oxides.
You need something that combines with oxygen to remove the oxides not provide
more oxygen for making oxides.
peroxide works good for bleaching colors because it oxidzes certain substances
that are colored.
It might be more involved than this in some details but that is basically it.

Take care,
http://www.health-freedom.info/