Hi!

I also use openser. Configure your SIP client to use an openser as
outbound proxy. Then you can do all the nice message manipulation in
openser by using your favorite SIP client.

IMO eyebeam is an absolute MUST for SIP testing. Lots of features,
multiple lines, very stable and you can configure a lot of things.

For debugging:
ngrep (ngrep -t -W byline -d any "port 5060 or or port 5061 or port 53
or icmp" is my favorite)
wireshark (especially for RTP analysis)

you can also find some tools here:
http://www.pernau.at/kd/voip/bookmarks-sip-test.html