Don,

I have committed some changes that allow you to achieve this
functionality.  The basic flow is that the [field0] is read into a newly
string variable type ($1).  $1 is then converted to a double value ($2)
[new functionality].  To perform the random sampling, the existing sample
action is used with a uniform distribution from zero to one into $3.
Finally, $3 is multiplied by $2 [previously you could only add, subtract,
multiply, and divide by constants], so you have a double value that is
uniformly distributed between zero and [field0].  You can then use this
value as the input to a pause command.  Sample XML, with some additional
logging so that you can track what is going on is below.

<nop>
    <action>
        <log message="[call_id]: Started at [clock_tick]" />
        <assignstr assign_to="1" value="[field0]" />
        <todouble assign_to="2" variable="1" />
        <sample assign_to="3" distribution="uniform" min="0" max="1" />
        <log message="[call_id]: Uniform (0, 1): [$3] * [field0]" />
        <multiply assign_to="3" variable="2" />
    </action>
</nop>

<pause variable="3" />

<nop>
    <action>
        <log message="[call_id]: Paused until [clock_tick]" />
    </action>
</nop>

Charles

--