On Friday 16 February 2007 18:55, dann frazier wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 16, 2007 at 05:40:31PM +0100, Erich Focht wrote:
> > Guys,
> >
> > I'd like to include a tiny script (attached) into boel_binaries which can
> > solve one of our longest lasting problems: the inability to deal with unkown
> > hardware. Of course, we have UYOK, but that sometimes fails and is somewhat
> > unconfortable to use. No, I don't want to replace UYOK. I just believe that
> > the current detection framework can get some help.
> >
> > pci-automod (the script in the attachment) detects the PCI hardware in your
> > machine and checks which module has support for this hardware. It deals with
> > three classes of hardware right now: storage, network and serial. It does
> > not
> > require any pci.lst list, it only uses information available in the modules,
> > respectively the modules.pcilst file. I.e. if it finds a module which
> > supports
> > your hardware, it will tell you or load it. The script is simple and runs
> > fine
> > under the busybox "ash".
>
> doesn't udev do this already?

Well, no. Not in systemimager. udevd is taking care of the /dev device files,
yes. But at the moment when it is started, the modules aren't actually
available. That means the udev events can't trigger loading any modules in
systemimager.

Currently a tool called "discover" is used for detecting hardware, and it uses
lists of supported vendor:device vs. modules. Managing this list is the pain
we all have when touching new hardware. The tiny script actually has the
potential to get rid of this list.

Regards,
Erich