On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 09:30:14AM +0100, Andrea Righi wrote:
> the idea to copy the distro specific udev configuration is great, but
> it's not so simple to realize. The main problem is that potentially
> a generic udev config can require a lot of packages, and we can't
> include all the possible dependencies into the initrd or in the BOEL
> binaries... moreover a lot of udev configs seem to be based on specific
> distro configuration paths (like /etc/sysconfig for RH and SuSE), so we
> should find a way to resolve also these kind of dependencies...

oh well, thanks for looking into it. Another option is to have your
own unified udev config that aims to do the right thing for all
distros - should be possible, but not so fun to maintain.
(Of course, you can always use the distro's udev config in the /a
chroot after you've layed down the image, but that's clearly too late
for most things).

Its indeed a messy problem, especially in this new world of
easily-configurable names. I'd even expect distros to move to static
naming schemes at install time to avoid the non-deterministic
enumeration problem. For example, I already mount a lot of devices
like so:

/dev/disk/by-id/usb-Samsung_Samsung_YP-U2J_0002F9D64B890581-part1
/media/samsung  vfat    user,noauto

Which of course makes names pretty useless altogether, since unique
IDs are specifically designed to not appear on 2 different devices
that are otherwise identical.

The right way to solve this may actually be to develop a footprinting
infrastructure to figure out which disks in the image map to which
disks on the autoinstallclient, using name as only one piece of input.
And of course add the flexibility for end-users to specify this
mapping in a way that lets them specify this mapping using whatever
criteria they care about e.g.:
 * usb disk of at least 100G with an ID that matches the regex
   /^usb-Samsung_Samsung_YP-U2J_.*$/
 * 2nd scsi disk on the first channel of a controller that uses the
   sym53c8xx driver
 * plain old disk name == sda

I could easily see this type of thing being added to the disk field in
autoinstallscript.conf. e.g., define <disk> sections that associate
desired properties of a disk with some logical name ("myrootdisk"),
<fsinfo> sections that describe file systems and mount points, as well
as the desired logical <disk> name.

> IMHO the simplest way to fix the disk naming issue is a post-install
> script that detects from the udev config of the installed image which
> "naming style" will be used. Depdending on this naming style the script
> fixes /etc/fstab, /boot/grub/menu.lsf (or /etc/lilo.conf), etc...

sounds like a reasonable thing to do inside systemconfigurator, since
it already messes with some of these files and need to know the right
names itself.

Of course, this is all hot air from someone who hasn't done any
significant work on SIS in years :)
--
dann frazier