Erich Focht wrote:
> Hi Andrea,
>
> as far as I understand, you suggest that if a device.map file is present,
> you copy it to /a/boot/grub/device.map.image . Moving would be bad,
> but copying is fine, so that we have under control whether we provide
> a file or not. Guess your're aiming at pre-install scriptlets?

Not exactly. The old device.map is saved + the disk names inside it are
modified according to the disk devices detected/used by SystemImager:
the ##SHOW_DISK_EDITS## and ##EDIT_DISK_NAMES## labels in
etc/autoinstallscript.template are translated in the opportune "sed"
commands when the .master script is created (look at edit_disk_names()
and show_disk_edits() in lib/SystemImager/Server.pm for details).

Anyway, my patch in systemimager doesn't change anything with previous
versions of SC, because device.map is always re-created. With SC 2.2.12
instead it would help to automatically fix device.map when it's present
in the image (with no need of fine-grained manual changes in the
overrides or similar stuff).

> In fact through the overrides one has very fine-grained control on what
> would be done on a node with respect to the device.map file, for the case
> that the nodes have different types of disks than the golden client.
> That's why I saw no real problem with the patch r711. My point was to have
> at least some way of disabling the device.map generation (which is
> unreliable).

ok.

> I tagged systemconfigurator 2.2.12 but didn't put the RPMs on the download
> page, as nobody ever complained about this kind of issue. If no other
> patches show up in near future, I'll complete the "release".

ok for me.

-Andrea