This worked for us.  On the client I removed
/usr/share/systemimager/boot/x86_64/standard/initrd_template/hotplug and
/usr/share/systemimager/boot/x86_64/standard/initrd_template/hotplug.d and
copied /etc/hotplug and /etc/hotplug.d to
/usr/share/systemimager/boot/x86_64/standard/initrd_template.  This got us
past the kernel panic.

Can I propose that this be the action that si_prepareclient takes when being
executed with "--my-modules".  Instead of having to overwrite the template
directories on every server it would best if it just copied the hotplug
directories into the initrd that gets created when --my-modules is called.

To help your understanding.  We are using system imager on our servers as a
rapid recovery tool.  We create an image prior to patching so that we can
quickly recover the root disk if something goes wrong.  In the Solaris world
this is how we used "flar".  This has created some challenges for us.  One
in particular is that we only want the root disk rsync'd.  This means we
have to mess with the autoinstallscript.conf and mounted_filesystems after
we run si_prepareclient so that the master file that gets created does not
try to recreate volume groups stored on the SAN.  In addition we are using
UYOK.

We'd like to expand on system imagers use as well.  We recently started to
investigate some of the cloning opportunities but are having issues with the
static flag.  It seems to create an improper grub.conf file when we use that
flag.  This results in an infinite reboot.

Appreciate your response.  We are very happy that you've created this tool
and hope it has long term success.

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 4:53 PM, Brian Elliott Finley