dann frazier wrote:

On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 01:45:21PM -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

We were able to resolve this today -- we can now build and install SI
flavors from a RH9 machine, for install on a Dell 1750 target with the
Broadcomm network adaptor.  The key is to migrate SI 3.0.1 to
2.4.21-pre3 first.

I added the following patches to ./patches under our flavor build tree.
These patches were extracted from RedHat's own kernel-2.4.20-8.src.rpm:

        patch-2.4.21-pre3.bz2
        linux-2.4.20-tg3.patch

(The interesting thing to note here is that the "2.4.20" kernel which
ships with RH9 is actually 2.4.21-pre3, but they don't update the
version string to say that...)

I renamed these so that the pre3 patch ran first, before all other
linux kernel patches, followed immediately by the tg3 patch.  I then
simply deleted any patches which conflicted later in the build (I think
that xfs patches were the only thing that conflicted, and we aren't
using xfs...).

I also had to update linux.i386.config, since the above pre3 patch
upgrades the kernel to 2.4.21-pre3.

Cool.  right now, i'd rather not update the kernel too drastically
(i keep hoping 3.2.0 will happen soon).

a standalone tg3 patch is definitely reasonable, but anything that breaks xfs
makes me nervous.  however, an alternate boot flavor is definitely
a reasonable thing to do, especially for 3.0.1.  if you want to build one, i'd
be glad to host it.  if its unclear how to do so, i can walk you through it.

Can i download somewehere a kernel that support the new tg3 card or must i build my own?

PS) Our linux systems use xfs ;-)

*  Bas van der Vlies                     e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]      *