I'm considering this a bug.  Previous releases, which had the ide driver
compiled into the kernel directly (just how does one say that succinctly
anyway), had dma turned on by default (kernel option).

I'll have a look at the code and see if we can't get it turned _back_ on
by default for the modular driver.

Thanks!

-Brian

Thus spake Ole Holm Nielsen ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):
A solution has been found !  Thanks to Bas van der Vlies and
Gerben Roest.  The conclusions are:

1. The SI 2.4.25 kernel has all IDE drivers as modules (check the
   SI source file systemimager/patches/linux.i386.config), so in
   order to get speedy I/O during installation you need to load
   manually the appropriate IDE driver in the SI master script
   (in /var/lib/systemimager/scripts/XXX_image.master).
   The IBM PCs we used in this case have the Intel i865 chipset
   with the Intel IDE chip.  Find out your own chipset first !

2. By default DMA seems to be turned off, so you have to enable
   DMA manually (provided you have modern hardware).  Although
   the "hdparm" tool can do this, "hdparm" isn't available in the
   standard SI, but there's another possibility:  Use the
   file /proc/ide/ide0/hda/settings to read or write settings
   for the /dev/hda disk.

3. I modified my SI master script by adding just before the line
      ### BEGIN partition /dev/hda ###
   the following lines:
      echo "Loading ide chipset modules.."
      # Intel PIIX IDE driver
      modprobe piix
      # Setting harddisk speed to maximum!
      echo "io_32bit:1" > /proc/ide/ide0/hda/settings
      echo "using_dma:1" > /proc/ide/ide0/hda/settings
      echo "Updated harddisk parameters are"
      cat /proc/ide/ide0/hda/settings
      # sleep 10  # For checking the output visually

The transfer of a 2.0 GB disk image with a 100 Mbit/s Ethernet went
down from about 15 minutes to about 4 minutes.  The filesystem
creation time was also much reduced.

Ole Holm Nielsen
Department of Physics, Technical University of Denmark