After spending a week on trying to figure out why my nodes are not booting
with some help from the hardware vendors support folks we finally figured
out that SystemConfigurator removed two vital lines from the grub.conf file.

The nodes I am dealing with are completely headless as in they have no VGA
output devices. The console output has to go across the serial port which
has a fixed baud rate of 9600.

So the following two lines are vital for the systems to boot:

serial --unit=0 --speed=9600
terminal --timeout=5 serial console

When SystemConfigurator builds the resulting grub.conf on an imaged node these
lines are omitted and the systems won't boot without them.

These lines are present in the original grub.conf on the golden-client and in
the grub.conf that exists on the SI server in
/var/lib/systemimager/images/boot/grub/
but do not get preserved in the grub.conf on an imaged system.
--
Steven DuChene