On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 9:56 AM, Jan Groenewald <j...@aims.ac.za> wrote:

> Can you perhaps describe more extensively the relation between
> systemimager and SALI and your best guess as to the future developments
> over the next few years? And perhaps a specific note on the current status
> in SI and SALI of grub2, ext4, and systemconfigurator?
>
> Regards,
> Jan

Until the devs have time to weight in, I'll give you the perspective of
someone using them on a daily basis:

SALI is a drop-in replacement for the default systemimager boot image
(kernel and initrd). It has fairly good support for grub2 and ext4, and a
vastly simplified command set for writing system imager install scripts.
The rest of the systemimager suite you use as before.

We use systemimager + SALI to image a lab of Ubuntu 11.04 machines, which
works pretty much out of the box. The only caveat is that neither component
has support for Debian's new disk UUIDs, so monkeying with your /etc/fstab
and grub config may be required.

--
Tristam MacDonald
System Administrator, Suffolk University Math & CS Department