Site of the Day   Thursday, June 21, 2001 The Summer Solstice

        The Argument Clinic

Feeling in a Feisty Mood? No, it's not Monty Python; it's Philosophy!

Sometimes one encounters the most amazing things on the Web. Take this site
from the University of Northern Colorado's Department of Philosophy, for
example.

"We examine arguments. If you've got an argument you'd like us to look at,
type it into the space below or e-mail a copy to the waiting room. We'll
get to it as soon as we can. Once we're done, we'll let you know the
results of the exam. We may find that the argument is as sound as a dollar
(or maybe even sounder than that!). On the other hand, it might limp along
so badly that we'll have to face facts and declare it an invalid, or
perhaps more precisely, just plain old invalid. Of course there are
intermediate possibilities too." - from the website

Have you ever had an invigorating discussion in which you were **almost**
sure that your position admitted no room for disagreement? Double check
your premises at this site by submitting your argument. Your
confidentiality will be respected, unless you indicate otherwise. Read some
of the analyses of arguments which have been submitted. You can download
and print (two formats available) the essay "Arguments and their
Evaluation" or peruse a "Guide to Logical Fallacies". After that mental
workout, you may well be eager to follow the link to a transcript of Monty
Python's "Argument" sketch. Don't forget to have a dekko at the "caduceus"
link.

After some time spent at this site, you'll never again wonder about the
value of a philosophy degree!

http://www.univnorthco.edu/philosophy/clinic.html

A.M. Holm
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>