Site of the Day for Tuesday, October 16, 2001

        The New England Light Pollution Advisory Group

        Plus lux non semper melior est.

Or if the List's Latin is not too rusty, "More light is not always better."

"These pages were produced and made available here because of the
prominence of this problem to cometary observers . . ." - from the website

Since the List's gentle members are a particularly thoughtful group, it
will have occurred to many that our more powerful telescopes and
observatories are generally located far away from urban centers and
correctly deduced the reasons for this.

"Imagine children growing up without being allowed to see trees or birds
(or any other aspect of nature): now, how is this any different from
preventing our children from seeing the stars?! But by our thoughtless
erection of outdoor lights everywhere --- without consideration of glare
and light trespass, without consideration of safety, without consideration
of the right to privacy, and without consideration of the energy waste and
the waste of taxpayer dollars --- we are making it so that a very small
percentage of children are able to grow up in the world today with the
ability to see and ponder the wonders of our beautiful starry night sky." -
from the website

For even more information about the sorely under-reported problem of urban
light pollution, soar over to:

http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/cfa/ps/nelpag.html

A.M. Holm
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>