[See URL for embedded links.]

I.F. Stone: Soviet Spy

http://pajamasmedia.com/ronradosh/2009/04/22/if-stone-soviet-spy/

April 22nd, 2009
by Ron Radosh

In my very first week of blogging, I wrote about the revered late
left-wing journalist, I.F. Stone. Sure, Izzy charmed a lot of his
supporters. But as I noted, he was most well known for being an
apologist for Stalinism, and a journalist who at the time of the
Korean War, perpetrated Soviet disinformation that the war was
started by South Korea with the backing of the United States.

Until now, there has been only highly circumstantial evidence
indicating that for several years Stone may have been a KGB agent.
Now, John Earl Haynes, Harvey Klehr, and Alexander Vassiliev in their
soon to be published book, Spies:The Rise and Fall of the KGB in
America, present new evidence that indeed this was the case. Actual
KGB files they examined, scrupulously copied from the originals by
Vassiliev, offer us proof that from 1936 to 1938, Stone was in fact a
Soviet agent. The chapter giving the data now appears on the website
of Commentary magazine.

There is simply no more room for doubt. As the New York KGB station
agent reported in May of 1936, "Relations with 'Pancake' [Stone's KGB
name] have entered 'the channel of normal operational work.'" For the
next few years, the authors write, "Stone worked closely with the
KGB" as a talent spotter and recruiter of other people for KGB work,
including William A. Dodd, Jr., son of the US Ambassador to Hitler's
Germany. He also worked with the American Communist Victor Perlo, who
while an economist at the War Production Group, led a Soviet
espionage apparatus. Perlo compiled material for Stone that he could
use in journalistic exposes beneficial to the Soviets.

The Stone revelations cannot help but tarnish Stone's reputation
among the legion of his former supporters.  Finding some humor in
this, Marty Peretz, writing today in his TNR blog, says the
revelations are "devastating. Poor Izzy! He will always have attached
to his adopted name his code-name, 'Pancake.' (His real name was Feinstein.)"

But, as one expects, the folks at The Nation remain adamantly in
denial. Eric Alterman wasted no time rushing to the web, on the site
of Tina Brown's The Daily Beast, to declare, as the headline puts it,
"I.F.Stone Was No Spy." Alterman argues that Stone could not be a
spy, because the dictionary definition of a spy does not fit
Stone!  Spies, according to the dictionary, have to give military or
naval secrets.  So talent spotting, acting as a courier for other
spies, relaying information to KGB agents, and giving the KGB
information he found that the Soviets might find useful is not spying.

Next Alterman spins Vassiliev's revelations to give them the most
benign interpretation possible.  To Alterman, I.F. Stone was merely
"a man of avowed anti-Fascist sympathies…still-foolishly naive about
Stalin and the Soviet Union," who therefore "agreed on a couple of
occasions, to help those whom he believed to be actually fighting
fascism, while his own country, still mired in childish isolationism,
preferred to look away."  In other words, Alterman is acknowledging
that perhaps Stone did cooperate, but for good anti-fascist motives.

Alterman ends up saying he will not argue that what Klehr, Haynes and
Vasiliev found "does not affect the historical record at all." But
Alterman finds it hard to believe, since he writes that "Stone and I
were close friends during the final decade or so of his life and he
never mentioned anything of this to me."  This means, in other words,
Alterman believes that if it was true, Stone would have told him!

Alterman should remember that Alger Hiss lived the lie to his dying
day, despite the fact he must have known the truth would eventually
come out, and that all those who believed him and fought for him
would appear to be fools. So did the Rosenbergs, who told their sons
never to forget they were innocent, and urged them to fight to clear
their names. As Haynes et  al write: "That Stone chose never to
reveal this part of his life strongly suggests that he knew just how
incompatible it would be with his public image as a courageous and
independent journalist."

I myself know that Stone thoughts ran along these lines, even after
he had become thoroughly disillusioned with the Soviet Union.  When
Joyce Milton and I wrote The Rosenberg File, we found that way before
publication, I.F. Stone had become a strong supporter. He got in
touch with our editor, and invited me to his home in Washington,
D.C., to discuss the case. Stone told me that he always thought they
were guilty, and was delighted that the full truth would come out in
our book. But then we did something that caused a sudden reversal on his part.

We began The Rosenberg File with a quote from Stone that demonstrated
his doubts about the couple's innocence. But when he saw the galleys,
with the quote from him in the frontpiece, he went ballistic. Stone
demanded that it be removed, that it seemed to indicate to readers
that he supported our book, and that he would sue unless it was taken
out. I answered Stone with a letter, in which I said I was shocked
that I. F. Stone would seek to censor a book, to prohibit us from
using his own words from one of his own columns that clearly was not
a blurb, but rather indicated our approval of Stone for being one of
the few on the Left to question the official line on the Rosenberg
case. I told Stone that we were going to use the quote no matter what
he did. He came to his senses, and backed down.

His original anger made no sense, since he agreed with our view of
the case and had said as much, especially when I spent that whole day
with him at his home. It could have been prompted by his awareness
that some of his best friends-like his relative Leonard Boudin and
Boudin's law partner Victor Rabinowitz-would be very upset by his
words. Stone's relatives and others of his close friends were still
either Communists or fellow-travelers, and Stone clearly wanted to be
clear to all that he was a man of the Left, and did not want to be
identified with those who said Julius and Ethel Rosenberg were real
Soviet agents. Or perhaps he realized that the revelations about the
Rosenbergs were hitting too close to home.

Alterman suggests that if Stone was alive, he could have sued the
authors for libel, since they have proved nothing. Putting aside that
a defender of free speech such as Stone would never sue for
historical interpretation of genuine documents, Alterman's words
reveal only that he cannot at this late date accept the truth about
his own personal journalistic hero.

Sorry, Eric. I.F. Stone was a Soviet spy!

.