http://e2ma.net/map/view=CampaignPublic/id=32516.7140268317/rid=ec8207c5e7b604da44acb442498cca92
___________________________________

  The Rag Blog Digest  July 21, 2011

 theragblog.blogspot.com (
http://e2ma.net/go/7140268317/208621832/223935990/32516/goto:http://theragblog.blogspot.com/
 )

 Richard D. Jehn, founder    Thorne Webb Dreyer, editor

Mary  Tuma : When One Man Owns Too Much (
http://e2ma.net/go/7140268317/208621832/223935991/32516/goto:http://theragblog.blogspot.com/2011/07/mary-tuma-when-one-man-owns-too-much.html
 )by Mary Tuma / The  Rag Blog. In her analysis of the scandal engulfing the
media  empire of Rupert Murdoch, Tuma concentrates on the aspect of media
consolidation  andthe special regulatory considerations that allowed Murdoch to
build his  massive international conglomerate --and the denial andbias toward
thescandal  exhibited by theMurdoch-controlled media.Tuma points out that six
major firms  now dominate our media -- down from 50 in the '80s.

Rag  Blog's Dreyer : Another Year Older and... (
http://e2ma.net/go/7140268317/208621832/223935992/32516/goto:http://theragblog.blogspot.com/2011/07/rag-blogs-dreyer-another-year-older-and.html
 )Rag  Blog editor and Rag Radio host Thorne Dreyer is turning 66 -- and  we're
having a party! The Dreyer Birthday Bash and Rag Blog Blowout  takes place
Friday, July 29, 6-9 p.m.,at Maria's Taco Xpress in Austin. It's a  chance for
our family, friends, and followers to get to know each other -- and  to party
down! Click on the link to see Jim Retherford's great poster art.

Brooke  Jarvis : A Tale of Carmaggedon (
http://e2ma.net/go/7140268317/208621832/223935993/32516/goto:http://theragblog.blogspot.com/2011/07/brooke-jarvis-tale-of-carmaggedon.html
 )by Brooke Jarvis /  CommonDreams. Over the weekend, Los Angeles -- perhaps
America's most famously car-chocked city -- briefly became a transportation
morality play. As 10 miles of the city's infamous 405 Freewayclosed for
construction, manypredicted the apocalypse. But it ended up being a sweet
respite -- a virtually car-free weekend. JetBlue, which offered a special
limited edition flight from one end of LA to the other, was challenged to a
race  by a group of cyclists -- and the cyclists won!

Leonardo  Boff : Man as 'Lord and Master' of Nature (
http://e2ma.net/go/7140268317/208621832/223935994/32516/goto:http://theragblog.blogspot.com/2011/07/leonardo-boff-man-as-lord-and-master-of.html
 )by Leonardo Boff  / The Rag Blog. Brazilian theologian Boff tells usthat the
worldis facing muchmore thana crisis in natural resources and services. We
also face a crisis in a form of civilization that hasestablished the human
being, as Descartes wrote, as the "lord and master" of Nature. "We are not
God,"  Boff tells us, "and our desire to be such takes us to madness."

EVERY FRIDAY: KEEP TUNED IN WITH RAG RADIO!

Rag Radio with Thorne Dreyer (
http://e2ma.net/go/7140268317/208621832/223935995/32516/goto:http://www.koop.org/schedule/detail.php?ext=info&oa_id=33
 ): Every Friday, 2-3 p.m. (CST) on KOOP 91.7-FM in Austin.
To stream online, go here (
http://e2ma.net/go/7140268317/208621832/223935996/32516/goto:http://www.koop.org/pages.item.86/stream-koop-listen-online.html
 ).

Rag Radio features hour-long in-depth  interviews and discussion about issues
of progressive politics, culture,  and history. Our guests include newsmakers,
artists, leading thinkers, and  public figures

July 22, 2011: Permaculture Institute founder Scott Pittman.

July 29, 2011: Original Rag "Funnella" Sarito Carol Neiman on Politics and
Spirituality.
August 5, 2011: Anarchist Community Organizer and Writer Scott Crow.

Listen to Thorne Dreyer's June 15  (
http://e2ma.net/go/7140268317/208621832/223935997/32516/goto:http://www.archive.org/details/RagRadio2011-07-08
 )interview with  (
http://e2ma.net/go/7140268317/208621832/223935998/32516/goto:http://www.archive.org/details/RagRadio2011-07-15
 )Community Organizer  (
http://e2ma.net/go/7140268317/208621832/223935999/32516/goto:http://www.archive.org/details/RagRadio2011-07-15
 )Linda Stout (
http://e2ma.net/go/7140268317/208621832/223936000/32516/goto:http://www.archive.org/details/RagRadio2011-07-15
 ), author of Collective Visioning.

Watch Jeff Zavala's video (
http://e2ma.net/go/7140268317/208621832/223936001/32516/goto:http://theragblog.blogspot.com/2011/07/video-jeff-zavala-and-thorne-dreyer.html
 ) of Robert Jensen's interview on Rag Radio.

Listen to earlier shows on Rag Radio (
http://e2ma.net/go/7140268317/208621832/223936002/32516/goto:http://www.koop.org/schedule/detail.php?ext=info&oa_id=33
 ).

Beginning July 24, 2011, Rag Radio will be rebroadcast every Sunday at 10 a.m.
on WTFE, 90.3-FM in Mt. Cobb, PA and 105.7-FM in Scranton, PA.

Media octopus: When one man owns too much.

Lamar  W. Hankins : Remembering Woody Guthrie in the Age of  Obama (
http://e2ma.net/go/7140268317/208621832/223936003/32516/goto:http://theragblog.blogspot.com/2011/07/lamar-w-hankins-remembering-woody.html
 )by Lamar W. Hankins / The Rag  Blog. Woody Guthrie, the songwriter, musician,
social philosopher,  and populist extraordinaire, would have turned 99 this
past week. In 2008, at  Barack Obama's pre-inaugural gathering, Pete Seeger,
Arlo Guthrie, Bruce  Springsteen, and others sang Woody's anthem, "This Land is
Your Land," helping  to promote high expectations for Obama and the creation
ofa more  compassionate world. Hankins believes Obama has failed that
vision,throwing in  with the wealthy and the exploiters.

Ken  Handel : The Port Huron Statement Spoke Truth to Power (
http://e2ma.net/go/7140268317/208621832/223936004/32516/goto:http://theragblog.blogspot.com/2011/07/ken-handel-port-huron-statement-spoke.html
 )by  Ken Handel / The Rag Blog. In June 1962, 59 members of the  fledgling
Students for a Democratic Society (whose membership would  eventuallynumber
more than100,000)assembled in the small Michigan town of  Port Huron and wrote
a manifesto for a generation. Scholar James Miller  described the Port Huron
Statement -- whose primary author was Tom Hayden --as  "one of the pivotal
documents in post-war American history."

BOOKS  / Rick Ayers : Marable's Malcolm Bio Hits and Misses (
http://e2ma.net/go/7140268317/208621832/223936005/32516/goto:http://theragblog.blogspot.com/2011/07/books-rick-ayers-marables-malcolm-bio.html
 )by  Rick Ayers / The Rag Blog. In one of several Rag Blog articles on
thetowering legacy of Malcolm X -- and of the late scholar Manning  Marable's
at once heralded and controversial biography -- Ayerstells us that Marable "has
made a great contribution," but that in some  ways --especially in
criticizingMalcolm forembracing "blacknationalism"--  he misses the "central
significance"of Malcolm's life.

BOOKS  / Harry Targ : Remembering Malcolm and Manning (
http://e2ma.net/go/7140268317/208621832/223936006/32516/goto:http://theragblog.blogspot.com/2011/07/books-harry-targ-remembering-malcolm.html
 )by Harry  Targ / The Rag Blog. Professor Targ, who brieflyworked with
Manning Marableat Purdue University, says that "telling Malcolm X's story was
Marable's way of advocating for fundamental social change in a deeply troubled
world." Targ tells of the impact that Malcolm -- and his autobiography, written
 with Alex Haley -- had on his life and that of his students. He says that
Marable documents Malcolm's flaws and his strengths and, in doing so, humanizes
 him for the reader.

Woody Guthrie : This guitar kills fascists.

The Rag Blog is a non-profit internet newsmagazine produced by activist
journalists committed to progressive social change. The Rag Blog is published
by the New Journalism Project, inc., a Texas non-profit corporation
that
has been granted tax-exempt status under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal
Revenue Code. This status is retroactive to Oct. 9,
2008.

If you do not wish to receive further email from The Rag Blog, please click on
the "opt out" button below.

If you have received this newsletter at more than one address, please "opt out"
at addresses where you don't wish to receive these
mailings.

The New Journalism Project, inc.

P.O. Box  16442

Austin, TX 78761-6442

theragblog.blogspot.com (
http://e2ma.net/go/7140268317/208621832/223936007/32516/goto:http://theragblog.blogspot.com
 )

Please become a Rag Blog Supporter.

 We take no advertising and depend entirely on your  support.

Please help us continue our work with a donation

of $10, $20,  $50 or whatever you can afford.

P.O. Box 14672 | Austin, TX 78761-4672 US

___________________________________

    forward this email to a friend

http://e2ma.net/app/view:Forward/ID:32516.7140268317/send_to_friend/rid:ec8207c5e7b604da44acb442498cca92

This email was sent to . To ensure that you continue receiving our emails,
please add us to your address book or safe list.

manage your preferences:
opt out using TrueRemove(tm):

Got this as a forward? Sign up to receive our future emails:

Network for Good
EmailNow powered by Emma
http://www.myemma.com