Liviu Nicoara <lnico...@thinkoid.org> writes:

AFAICT, the sysctl service (which starts after
s6-svscan) can configure only one parameter, core_pattern, with which
I can
only set a location. That is good but not enough. The needed ulimit invocation wherever I put it comes in later by which time s6-svscan is already launched with a core size of 0. So, I used a bigger hammer by altering the s6-supervise process' core ulimit and that gave me the
core,
found the bug, etc. Yaay.

i'm not sure why there's a sysctl service on your system, but initial kernel parameters such as kernel.core_pattern should be able to be set via the sysctl.conf file, as well as (at least for Linux kernels) via the kernel command line.

Regarding your particular situation, if the reason you're wanting a core size of 0 is to avoid core dumps getting created, you could try specifying /dev/null as the file for kernel.core_pattern:

   kernel.core_pattern=/dev/null

Alexis.