Tomcat has its own classloader that will load any .class file under
<your_webapp>/WEB-INF/classes and any .jar file under
<your_webapp>/WEB-INF/lib in to the classpath of <your_webapp>. To
include your classes in the sample application, either put your .class
files into slide/WEB-INF/classes or build a jar and put it in
slide/WEB-INF/lib.

-James