For cleanup purposes you could implement an event listener that:
 1) when a file is deleted looks for a ._meta file and removes it
 2) when a file is moved looks for a ._meta file and moves it

For hiding the files from other clients, maybe some sort of filter that
hides the ._meta files based on User Agent?

-James

PS: Ignore my previous reply. I'm catching up on email and going the
wrong direction, I think :).