I'm not familiar with the auto-create-users code, so the only thing I
know for sure about it is that an attempt is made to create a new user
node when a user authenticates that doesn't exist in the system. I
really don't know how role assignment fits in, though. The second part
of my post was about how to make roles unnecessary (at least for basic
access).

If you look in the <data> section of your Domain.xml file you'll see a
number of write permissions granted to the subject "/roles/users". If
you change those subjects to "authenticated" or "all", any user with a
valid login to the system will have write access. Since the
auto-create-users setting guarantees that any user with a valid login is
also a Slide user, this change should be alright. If you want a "guest"
user you'll need to fiddle with the permissions to deny write access to
the guest account, though.

-James