On Tue, 2005-01-18 at 17:53 +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
wrote:
> Hi Jason,
>
> First of all, I want to thank you for your prompt and clear answers!
> Thanks!
>
> > LDAP is a good candidate for this. It is a standard and fairly well
> > supported, so integrating third-party applications should be easier than
> > with a custom solution.
> I taught about it as well, but our application is completely
> self-contained and written in native Java. So if we choose LDAP as user
> base, we have to provide a (fully configured) LDAP server as well, because
> we can't make knowledge about LDAP a requirement for our product. It
> should work out-of-the-box. Our product is available for lots of
> platforms, so we have to find LDAP servers on all the platforms, or a
> fully implemented LDAP server in Java. As far as I know there aren't any
> java open source LDAP servers, except the JavaLDAP project of Clayton
> Donley (not finished) and the commercialization of it.

If your application is going to be marketed toward medium-to-large
companies, LDAP support could end up being a deal-maker for you. I know
that it's one of the standard requirements we have for any software we
purchase. It's enough of a hassle to manage 18,000 users in one
location, we don't need any more :).

> > If you can store your user and role information in a location Slide
> > understands, that will make your life easier.
> Which locations does Slide understand?
> - LDAP (via JNDIPrincipalStore)
> - ...

Any Store implementation can store users and roles (except maybe the
SimpleFile store). At the moment that gives you LDAP, JDBC and
Filesystem. LDAP is the only meaningfully shareable resource out of
those three.

-James