I think this may be a question of what is exported from the bundle. At the moment the jackrabbit-server bundle doesn't expose much more than the real API's which IMHO is correct, however it does mean that customizations have to live inside the server bundle. As you say, this has been done to make the access manager pluggable in trunk Sling.

If the bundles were provided by Jackrabbit, would you want to export the internal jackrabbit classes?

From a selfish point of view, the modest extensions that were necessary to make the 283 DefautlAccessManager were only possible with complete visibility of all of the jackrabbit package space. I could have done it only having visibility of the API's but that would have meant a complete re-write, not something I wanted to do.

So, if JR2 is to provide bundles, IMHO some thought should be given to the API's that are exposed beyond javax.jcr.* *and* critically it should be possible to make customizations and extensions without re- writing large areas of functionality or repackaging the bundle. (in a perfect world with unlimited time :))

Ian